ECV1850 Plaque:
Bell Station


[ Photo of plaque wide. ]


[ Photo of plaque close-up. ]


BELL STATION
A TOLL ROAD WAS BUILT OVER PACHECO PASS
IN 1857 BY ANDREW D. FIREBAUGH. LATER IN
THE SAME YEAR HE BUILT A TAVERN NEAR
THIS SITE, WHICH BECAME A BUTTERFIELD
TRANSCONTINENTAL STAGE STOP. IN 1859,
THE PACIFIC AND ATLANTIC COMPANY BUILT
A TELEGRAPH LINE OVER THE PASS AND A
TELEGRAPH STATION WAS ESTABLISHED HERE.
LAFAYETTE F. BELL PURCHASED THE TOLL ROAD,
STAGE STOP, TAVERN, AND TELEGRAPH OFFICE
FOR $4,000 IN 1863. WHEN A POST OFFICE
WAS ADDED IN 1873, THE TAVERN AND STAGE
STOP BECAME KNOWN AS BELL STATION.

BELL STATION MAY BE THE SOLE REMAINING
NAME ON THE CALIFORNIA MAP IN WHICH "STATION"
REFERS NOT TO A RAILROAD STATION, BUT A
STAGE COACH STATION.
DEDICATED OCTOBER 19, 1985
IN MEMORY OF XSNGH CARL BRIGGS,
1925-1985.
MONTEREY VIEJO CHAPTER No. 1846
MOUNTAIN CHARLIE CHAPTER No. 1850
E CLAMPUS VITUS

 Victorian Bar

This plaque is located at
Bell Station Cafe.
15110 Pacheco Pass Highway (State Route 152)
(east of Gilroy)
Santa Clara County, CA. 95023

GPS*
  Bell Station  
WGS84 Datum
N 37.03600°
W 121.31339°
*Approximate




[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to PLAQUE MENU.
[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to MAIN MENU.